Thursday, May 19, 2005

Revenge of the Sith

Well, I just got back from seeing Star Wars Episode III: The Revenge of the Sith. I must say, so-so acting but great special effects. The final duel between Obi-Wan and Annakin was worth the wait! Ok, ok, I didn't really wait. I had connections, so I got my ticket cost-free over two weeks ago, and I went to the noon showing at the local 16 screen theatre.

Star Wars has been an integral part of my life. You would never know it, and I would never hint at it, but the movies and culture have always laid dormant in my soul. I can remember going to see the original movie (Now referred to as A New Hope) at a drive-in theatre with my parents in Kansas City when I was 7. I can remember my father letting me skip school and taking me to see The Empire Strikes Back when I was 10. I can remember waiting in line for over an hour and then sitting in an overly packed theatre to see Return of the Jedi. I still have all of my Star Wars toys from when I was a little boy. I even have the Dixie cups from 1980! I bought the original 3-movie release on VHS. I bought the updated VHS series. I bought the original series on DVD. Imagine my excitement when I found out George Lucas wanted to do the prequels!

On my entertainment center is an original Yoda action figure released for Empire Strikes Back. Yoda was on my dresser as I grew up. When I moved out, Yoda stayed on my television in my apartment and them moved onto my entertainment center in my house. He stoically endured my first marriage and is looked at humorously by my second wife. He is my good luck talisman. Some people use horseshoes. Some hang dream catchers. I have Yoda. May The Force Be With You!

No comments: