Sunday, May 07, 2006

Addictions aren't diseases

One of the things that really burns my ass today is when somebody does something wrong, and when they get caught they blame it on their "addiction," and call it a disease. I don't care what the government and doctors say, an addiction is not a disease.

Blaming an addiction/disease for your actions just reinforces my argument that people today do not want to take responsibility for their own actions.

People aren't forced to smoke their first cigarette. People aren't forced to take their first hit of illegal narcotics. People know that they shouldn't be abusing prescription narcotics, but they do it anyway. How is this a disease? These are life choices.

Then, one night, they drive like an ass and crash into a barricade. Oh, me, oh, my! It's not my fault, I have an addiction. I have a disease. Please take pity on me! I need rehab.

One of the things that going to rehab supposedly does is keep you from getting your addicting substance while giving you a lot of time to contemplate your addiction and your place in life.

Guess what? Jail provides the same benefits.

No comments: