Saturday, August 26, 2006

HP sucks

So, my HP laptop of 2.5 years starts acting quirky. I wondered if it was a software issue, since the system continued to seize up and then give me either a black screen telling me that windows can't run normally, or a Blue Screen of Death. After a couple days of trying to run diagnostics to no avail, I find my OS disk, reformat the hard drive, and do a clean install of Windows XP. Upon installation, I endure the painful process of downloading and installing Service Pack 2 through an 802.11b wireless access.

After everything was done, I tried to use the computer. After about a day, I started getting more BSOD's. I then noticed that the hard drive light would stay solid when the computer would temporarily seize up. If I thumped the computer lightly, the light would then twitter normally and the computer would unseize. It really sounded like a hardware issue to me, with my first idea being a slowly dying hard drive, and second being a dying motherboard. So, I run several different diagnostic programs on the HD, and everything comes back normal. I then try to run a hard drive-intensive program, and get a BSOD.

This is what I'm leading up to, so don't leave yet!

I go on-line with HP Chat Support and get a supposed tech talking with me. I repeat to him my BSOD message, and the tech tells me it is a software issue, and I need to do a clean install of XP. I tell him that I have just done a clean install, and his technical expertise tells him to tell me that I need TO DO IT AGAIN!!! YGTBSM! He tells me that if it continues, then to get back up with him and he would treat it as a hardware issue.

This is on top of the fact that the HP All-In-One printer we bought in May won't feed paper automatically.

I'll never buy another HP product.

No comments: