Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Lazy, lazy, lazy

Ok, I have just taken the next step into the realm of laziness. For those of you who don't know, I have several computers in the house. In the office is the main desktop. It is a one year old Acer dual core processor with widescreen flat panel monitor and all in one printer attached, along with an external hard drive for storage and the router. The wife has a four year old Toshiba laptop that she carts around. Her laptop is not the best treated computer in the world, what with her leaving it in a 120 degree car interior in the summer, or a below freezing trunk in the winter, and then cramming too much stuff into the case she carries it in, crushing the monitor down onto the keyboard. The abuse her laptop can take is what prompted me to purchase myself a Toshiba laptop two years ago to replace a three year old HP laptop that died (and prompted me to decide to never buy another HP laptop). In my son's room is a compact Dell desktop with flat panel monitor that I purchased for $100. It only has a 40GB hard drive and a gig of RAM, but it serves its purpose. Plus, I have a wireless USB dongle I can attach to it. This little computer is perfect for the little one to play games or surf the 'net when I can monitor him. In my bedroom is a Dell pocket PC that I can log into my wireless network to check news and weather. In my shop outside is an ancient (8 years old!) Dell with a 19" CRT.

Anyway, my normal sitting spot is in a glider rocker in the living room, which is in the opposite end of the house from the office (I sit in the centrally positioned love seat when I watch movies on the surround sound; gotta have the full experience!). Next to my seat is a small table that I keep my laptop on. Traditionally, I would have to lean over to do any surfing or typing, unless I picked it up and put it in my lap, which isn't very comfortable once the thing starts putting out heat (I used to have a chill pad, but it died). So I went to the local Staples and found the Microsoft Wireless Laser Keyboard and Mouse 6000 for a cool price of $30 (normal retail is $100). I can now sit back in a completely relaxed position, let my head roll off to the right, look at the monitor, and type on the ergonomically correct keyboard resting lightly on my lap. Talk about lazy! I reckon my last, final move into the realm of laziness will be when I get my HDTV. I'm thinking of getting the correct connectors to attach my computer to the TV. Then, with the power of remote controls, I will be able to kick back and watch TV, movies, or do computer stuff all from the comfort of my chair and never have to get up.

Lazy, lazy, lazy...

No comments: