Saturday, May 17, 2008

The world of the penguin...

If you have been a frequent reader of my postings, then you will probably notice that this post doesn't look any different than any other, and you would be correct. But what is behind this post is significantly different. I am typing this on my wife's dying laptop that I installed a Ubuntu operating system on.

The wife unit got up with me a couple of days ago about her 5 year old Toshiba laptop locking up, BSOD, things like that. I couldn't get it to work, so tried to reinstall XP. Did that, but system still wouldn't work. So I hit upon the idea of trying out the Linux ISO disk I had made several months ago. It took about 20 tries to get the OS to load (system still locked up during the installation process), and I don't know how long this computer will last with this system, but it gives me time to play around. I'm not sure if the hard drive is dying (don't think so), if the RAM is bad (don't think so), or if the motherboard is giving up (most likely). I've cycled the computer through a couple of reboots, and it is still working (obviously!).

Now, why Linux? Why not? I've heard stories about its geek factor, but how it is nearly impervious to the normal Windows weaknesses, and even some of the Mac weaknesses. I made the Ubuntu OS disk by downloading the ISO file and burning my own install CD.

Strangest thing so far is the fact that this computer I am typing on does not have built-in wireless. In the past, you would have to insert a Linksys wireless card into the card slot. That meant that I had to utilize an install CD with the XP operating system. Once I got this thing running with Unbuntu, I was trying to figure out how to get the appropriate driver for a wireless B card that is no longer supported, and for Linux! On a whim, I plugged the card in, and it immediately recognized my wireless system and logged on. Why can't Microsoft make things that simple?

Well, it's time to play around with Ubuntu. I don't know if I'll ever have a use for it, or if it will just be a geeky toy. I don't even know how long this laptop will last before it dies completely. But I'm going to have fun, knowing I'm using something that only about 1% or less of the population use to log onto the Internet.

Oh, now I have to buy the wife a new laptop. Crap! At least she's not a gamer. She just needs to surf the Net and do Powerpoint presentations. Can you say, "Low budget laptop from Best Buy?" I thought you could...

No comments: