Sunday, June 08, 2008

Hooo-leeeee crap, it's hot!!!

Ok, this is like the fifth straight day of tempertures in the high nineties. As a matter of fact, yesterday and today touched the 100 degree mark. Here is Eastern North Carolina, it has been absolutely unbearable. My AC unit has been running non-stop. I'm dreading the electric bill.

Anyway, let me tell you how my last week went. My little one started to get what initially looked like chicken pox on Monday. By Tuesday afternoon, he had swelled up so bad that he couldn't make a fist. By Wednesday morning, his face had swelled up so badly that his eyes actually looked squinting. Anyway, to make things worse, my AC quit working last Sunday, and temps in the house got into the mid 90's. The AC didn't get fixed until Monday evening.

On Wednesday, the wife had a 0730 appointment to take my little one to see the doc. I'm pulling into work at 0630 when my phone rings (I live about 30 miles from work). The wife says that she has locked herself out of the house. I tell her to try to jiggle the window near our dining room to shake the lock loose. I wait about ten minutes and call her back. She answers and says she is on her way and not to be mad. It seems that she actually broke out the window trying to open it. But don't worry, she says. Cardboard has been put over the window. I get home and find two file folders taped over the opening with duct tape! So in the blistering afternoon heat I pull out a piece of plywood to cover the window. I give her the measurements to get a new piece of glass, and she gets one with the window caulk, but now I don't have a caulk gun!

Well, I'm actually shortening the whole story, because in amongst that issue was the near panic of my little boy nearly being admitted into the hospital (he wasn't, and is recovering nicely), my trying to teach a class and work my regular job, and the splinter that went so deep into my finger that when I removed it blood sprayed - yes, sprayed - across my hobby desk.

Here's to hoping this upcoming week turns out better.

No comments: