Friday, August 08, 2008

My mp3 player

On my recent trip to Phoenix, one of the guys who went with me had an iPod Nano on which we watched videos and listened to music. While screaming along at Mach .75 at 34,000 feet, I thought that having such a device was a great idea to pass the time. Once we were in the resort, I did online shopping to find me a player. Fortunately, I still had in the back of my mind that I really didn't have a use for an mp3 player, much along the same lines that I never had a big use for a portable CD player in the 90's or a Walkman cassette player in the 80's (I had both). I love music, but I just don't have the desire or feel the need to listen to it constantly.

Anyway, because of that thought in the back of my mind, I decided to not spend a decent chunk of change for any of the iPods, so I looked some more at other players. I found a 4gig Sansa that plays both videos and music, along with showing pictures. I bought it for a total of $60, delivered. It took a couple of days for my laptop to recognize it (my primary-use computer is my Toshiba laptop; the desktop is in the office, and my laptop is on a small table next to my glider-rocker in the living room). Went back and forth with tech support until they determined that I needed to upgrade from Windows Media Player 10 (which should have worked) to WMP 11. I upgraded, and it works perfectly.

The music quality is great, and so is the video quality. Now I'm back to the fact that sticking ear buds in my ears is uncomfortable, and that I really don't have a need to listen to music everywhere I go!

It reminds me of the fact that I bought a Dell Pocket PC about five years ago, upgraded it to play videos, and even though it can access wireless Internet and bluetooth, I only use it to play Jawbreaker. I tried to carry my Dell Axim around as my planner, but it was easier to just keep a small pocket-sized notebook to write stuff down in.

No comments: