Friday, December 05, 2008


When I was a teenager, I lost my interest in building models (which returned in my early 20's) when I started to notice girls and cars. Naturally, like any red blooded American kid, I would have loved to have a Ferrari, Lamborghini, or Porsche. Nonetheless, I was the proud recipient of an 8 year old Datsun 200SX when I turned 16. It wasn't much to look at, as it had rust holes and a crappy radio, but it was my first big step to adulthood and gave me the freedom that every teenager craves. As a teenager, I was always attracted to convertibles. I thought it would be really neat to put the top down on a nice day and cruise around with some beach bunny in the right seat. As I got older, I never lost the desire to have a convertible, but the cost of one was just too much. As I approach 40, I again began to think about how cool it would be to have a convertible. I really don't need a car payment, and for the last two years it has been nice making much more than what I spent, and I remember the pain of living paycheck to paycheck. That being said, I told a volunteer at work who worked at a car lot the other night in just casual conversation that I had always wanted a convertible and had started to just look around. Lo and behold, from out of the blue he called me today and said that he had found one, and he drove it 45 minutes to my house for me to see. He offered me a deal I couldn't turn down, and I am now the proud owner of a two year old Sebring Convertible. It's not loaded out in the options department, but it is a convertible, and it is mine! Downside? Five years of car payments. I'm looking to work a little extra and pay it off in two or three years.

Come on, nice sunny days!!!

No comments: