Sunday, November 15, 2009

The juicer...the juice man...the ayatollah juicerola...

I was looking at my blog and noticed that I'd gotten away from doing posts about normal, everyday life. I had started this blog years ago with posts about goings-on in my everyday life, and it gradually shifted towards a soapbox or just a repeating of neat things I found on the Internet. So...I guess I'm going to try to do more personal posts, providing a nice mixture of things.

I recently purchased a nice juicer from Newegg. It was a refurbished unit, and the cost was 25 bucks with free shipping. I thought I'd give it a shot, and I must say that my first attempt was a pleasant surprise. I juiced some lemons for lemonade. The instructions say to not use the rind because of the potential of adding a bad flavor to the juice, but I found that the rind enhanced the flavor of the lemonade. I then juiced some apples, which tasted as good as any apple juice you can buy in a store. Ditto for the pear that I juiced. I then combined the apple and pear juice and enjoyed a refreshing cocktail. There is one major downside to juicing your own fruit juice: It is actually cheaper to just buy juice than to make your own (it took four apples and one pear to equal one glass of juice). I'm looking forward to trying to juice other stuff, including making my own vegetable juice.

No comments: